Thursday, August 05, 2010

My Bugs


This is a stink bug.
One of the many uninvited guests we see daily, scratch that- hourly here in the desert.
These little boogers are EVERYWHERE and they get into everything.
The first time I found one in the garage I felt like I wasn't cleaning/sweeping enough.
Before long there were hundreds (probably a slight exaggeration) of them in the garage, on the front porch, along the driveway, even a couple IN the house!
What was I doing wrong? Are we dirty people with bugs in our house?
Within days these little boogers were all the buzz about town.
Everyone was talking about this year's infestation- little black stink bugs!
(they say last year it was field mice- and not just one or two! glad we missed that)
Now we realize they are just a part of our desert life.
Kennedy's favorite morning activity as we load into the car for school is stomping any bugs in her way. They make this horrible crunching sound and she giggles.
Madison is a little more fearful. She won't touch them, but realizes they are harmless so she gets pretty close before declaring her latest discovery.
Luckily, Kennedy hasn't taken to picking up stink bugs just yet, but any tiny bug she finds is fair game. Small spiders, roly poly bugs, pincher bugs....she finds them, grabs them between her thumb and pointer finger and carries them to show me before opening the back door and tossing them out or disposing via trash can.
**
This morning Madison exclaimed from the living room, "Kennedy is stinky!" letting me know I somehow missed the filling of a poopy diaper.
I scooped up Kennedy to remedy the situation and told her SHE was my little stink bug today. Kennedy furrowed her brow and angrily informed, "I not sink bug, mommy- I Tendy (aka Kennedy)! Sink bugs yucky!"
I agree Kennedy- stink bugs ARE yucky....and you, little girl....are adorable.

No comments: