Saturday, May 22, 2010

Oh, The Appreciation *edited*

The second week of May was pretty crazy for us.
In all actuality, the first part of the week wasn't bad.
Tuesday night- Friday- Crazy!
So here we are- Thursday.
Kids are in bed and it hits me- I knew there was a reason we had to stop at Michael's before we came home!
In case you didn't know, the second week of May was also Teacher Appreciation Week.
A few moms from Madison's preschool planned meals and treats for the teachers all week long, culminating with a huge potluck lunch Friday.
Since there are only 6 teachers and staff at the school (it's just starting out- this is only the second year), Mommy offered to make take home treats for the teachers instead of potluck food.
Tuesday afternoon Mommy started the process of making Oreo Truffles.
Step one: Crumb an entire container of Oreo cookies.
Mix with an 8 oz block of cream cheese.
Roll into cute little truffle sized balls.
Refrigerate at least overnight.
I started this process Tuesday because I knew there would be no time Wednesday between picture day and getting naps and packed for our trip south.
There were two batches.
One with regular Oreos and one with Trader Joe's Candy Cane Joe-Joe's.
While the kids ate dinner and Matthew helped with baths I started the rolling process

Step Two: Melt lots of chocolate.
This time I used some white chocolate, some milk/semi-sweet combo.
Roll each truffle ball in your desired chocolate flavor and place on parchment paper to cool.
Once slightly hardened, roll in powdered sugar, drizzle with more chocolate, or just leave them to finish cooling.
I did some of each.
Somewhere in the middle of rolling my double batch of truffles I realized....
I had no containers for them.
Yep, my plan was to stop at good ole Michael's for some Chinese take out type boxes.
Since I forgot to stop and it was too late to run out, I had to make boxes.

Luckily it was Thursday so there was plenty to keep my eyes occupied on TV as I measured, cut, folded, and adhered the pieces for my boxes and sleeves.

Once all 12 boxes (6 tops, 6 bottoms) were complete, I placed each truffle in a muffin cup, created a checkered pattern with the different toppings, and put the boxes together.

12 pieces of 12x12 textured card stock
6 box bottoms
6 box tops
6 sleeves
6 cute punch tags
54 hand made and rolled truffles (ok, 60- we had to have a few for our house!)
Project completed just after 1am.
I appreciate my daughter's teachers, I really do....
I was raised by teachers (who were raised by teachers!), I know the importance of teachers...
but geez- next time I won't forget to stop at Michael's for the containers.
**9/15/2010- I linked up with the Creative Chicks Parade Recipe Roundup!**

1 comment:

Kierston Anderson said...

these look so yummy!! i'll definitely have to try em out! =) thank you for posting